Translate

Friday, October 18, 2013

Impendle: Description through pictures

Thankfully due to my new investment of a camera, I have been able to document and better describe my experience in Impendle. Impendle is a rural living area located in the KwaZulu-Natal Province. This area is located in a mountainous region where the region appears dry with straw-colored terrain. Despite its appearance, please keep in mind that I did visit this area during the region's early spring season where rain is scarce. Through comments of locals, I did learn that the terrain looks much different once the dry spell passes and the rain takes place again. During my three day stay in Impendle, I also lived among the locals as I shared a bedroom, meals, transportation and much more with them. Here is a glimpse of what I had experienced.


Dogs are quite common here. Although they are well fed and catered to, these animals are not seen as 'pets' but security for livestock and family protection. Thankfully I met these two pups on my travels.

Animals are a popular investment in this area. Sheep, goats, cows and chickens are raised and sold for food, labor and religious sacrifice. 

This area is considered 'town' for locals. It consists of this main road where locals come in order to buy groceries, obtain gasoline, attend the town Library, Police Department, Health Clinic and achieve access to other essential items.

These clay blocks were derived from clay of the encompassing mountains' sides. Most homes are made of this clay. As the family I was staying with was building another home for themselves, they allowed me to take pictures and ask about their housing design. According to my family, this roundeville that they were building would take them about one week's time to build.

This roundeville served as my bedroom during my three day stay. Inside there is one large round room that consists of a single queen-sized bed, a bureau and a television. Families of rural areas construct their homes with several buildings. One building will hold the kitchen, living room and some bedrooms; While other buildings will consist of roundevilles with one room served as either a bedroom or smoke room designated for fires for cooking or warmth during the winter season.

An additional view of the mountainous landscape.

This is the inside of a ventilated improved pit (VIP) latrine. Rural areas often use outdoor latrines because indoor plumbing and bathrooms are scarce and/or non-existent. Interestingly, South Africans do not refer to the bathroom as 'bathroom' but as 'toilet'. Please note that these facilities are not referred to as "THE toilet", soley "toilet". Example, "Where did he go? Oh, he went to toilet". PS: Keep in mind this phrase not only applies to rural areas, but throughout South Africa.


A few friends and I decided to hike a nearby mountain. This is a picture of them as they welcomed the new day's sunrise.

2 comments: