Translate

Monday, September 16, 2013

“ The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” – Mahatma Gandhi


Although I am nothing close to an expert of the cultural traditions set by the native Zulu Group, I have experienced a once in a lifetime Zulu celebration. This “Royal Reed Dance Ceremony” is held annually for young Zulu women to declare their virginity. As the tradition is derived from Zulu culture, it is often difficult for outsiders to attend the event. Thankfully due to the directors of my program, my fellow students and I were graciously welcomed to the experience.


As we first arrived by car, we drove over the hilltops into the valley where the celebration was held. From the hilltops, I witnessed the distinct green grasslands that flourished as far as the eye could see. In the distance rolling hills sprawled, as they were dotted with specs of both round and block-shaped clay huts. These Zulu huts which use thatch for roofing, are scattered throughout the scenery in groups of 4-6. Between these grouped Zulu huts are even smaller specs, the free roaming cows, goats, and sheep. Although from this hilltop one item in particular had held my focus, a cluster of small white tents in the depth of the valley. Here, was held the Royal Zulu Reed Dance.

Once driving down and into the valley, we parked our car among others in order to prepare for the ceremony. As our arrival only allowed my group and I to be spectators, we observed the ceremony while absolutely transfixed.

In order to participate in the ceremony, young women dress in their traditional attire with a beaded skirt and an elongated beaded necklace. A woman may choose to walk with or without shoes as she marches topless, holding a 15’ reed towards the King’s palace. Once inside the King’s palace these organized youth march in line as they place a reed when within the King’s presence. The placement of this reed announces their virginity and declares their purity as a strong-minded, empowered woman. Once placing the reed, the young virgins then walk back to their white tents and the Zulu Group participates in a lengthy celebration with food, drinks and music.

Throughout the ceremony I had taken many pictures, although in order to do so I needed to ask for each participant’s consent. Originally I was nervous to ask for permission with fear of being rejected. Although now as I reflect on the reality of the situation, fear of rejection should have been farthest from my mind because once participants glimpsed at my camera they instantaneously greeted me with warm hugs and laughter. More interestingly, as I had wanted to take pictures of them they also wanted to take pictures with my peers and I. They would hold their phone cameras and ask us to take dozens of photos with them. During moments of posing for photos and infamous amounts of hugs, I would realize that my fellow white peers and I would be the center of attention as 40-50 girls surrounded us.

As I now I reflect on this powerful moment, my peers and I had attended the Royal Zulu Reed Ceremony with intentions of celebrating the young women and their declaration of virginity. However much to my surprise, my peers and I were the highlight for the participants. Some young women had never been acquainted with people of white skin and therefore after providing their customary hug, a young Zulu woman would then leave my peers and I while excitedly screaming, “I touched a white person”.
 
As much as I had wanted to meet them, they had wanted to learn and meet me.  Throughout this experience I felt grateful to be blessed by the presence of the Zulu people and their graciousness. The acceptance received by the Zulu culture as they had allowed my peers and I to attend the event was beyond genuine hospitality, but the degree to which they had wanted to interact with us was priceless.

The Royal Zulu Reed Dance Ceremony is incredibly beautiful with gorgeous traditional attire, the long casting reeds, and the intimate interaction between the people of Zulu heritage. Even more eye opening was the generous amount of acceptance provided to my peers and I as we come from an alternative culture. With the closing line uttered by Gandhi, who both worked and was incarcerated in South Africa due to the activism of human rights,


“ The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” – Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment