Translate

Saturday, June 8, 2013

I Am Only Further Inspired


Despite the short time that I have been here, I have already learned an incredible amount through personal observation, academic study and clinical experiences.  Thus far I have concluded that although Chile is quite similar to the U.S. in most ways, it is also vastly different in others.


Thankfully the culture has not been difficult to adjust to.  As I had anticipated, Chile is a great start to a 6-month travel because I have yet to experience culture shock. The academics are also what I had anticipated, I feel that they are quite challenging yet manageable.  Lastly, and the most exciting piece to this first leg of travel... clinical observations, are all absolutely phenomenal.

As I try to live like a true “Chilena” with my homestay; Learn the city & how to interact with its people; Study the Spanish language, human anatomy, medical terminology & the construction of Chilean healthcare; I have been able to derive a common theme:

Culture.
Medicine.
 Healthcare Policy. 


Fortunately, these are the three themes that I had hoped to investigate. I admit I had my doubts, before beginning this trip I wasn't completely confident I would find the information that I was searching for. Although now that I have discovered it, I am only further inspired to aid healthcare. 

I chose to travel these next 6-months in order to observe how culture impacts a society, especially healthcare systems. I am particularly interested in the way that culture impacts and influences a population's general health. Thankfully through this learning experience, I have already begun to form a few conclusions.
My diary of clinical observations.
 

At least to me, it’s interesting to see how each concept (Culture, Medicine, and Healthcare) ties within the other, impacting and influencing the society that Chileans currently posses. During these next few weeks I’ll make sure to document what I have noticed and how these concepts intertwine and influence Chilean health.

No comments:

Post a Comment